Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Surgery Day

It's 8:52 p.m. and the three of us are sitting in bed together watching a classic, The Lion King. This isn't normally the scene in our house - especially on a school night, but today was much different than our 'typical' day.

My alarm went off at 4:45 a.m. so I could shower before we headed out the door at 5:45 a.m. We arrived at the hospital right on time at at 6:30 a.m., paid in full (GAH...if anyone isn't recovered from today, it's me and E. J. after shelling out that kind of money) and we were immediately brought back to a hospital room so we could wait 2.5 hours until it was time.

Today was the day for Kathryn's surgery - an adenoidectomy and she also got tubes in her ears. After 13 months of coughing and 8 ear infections in the last year (I can't even count the amount of doctor's appointments), the doctor thought this should help her immensely.
Thank goodness for kind nurses who hand out stickers, the teddy bear and 
crayons that were on the hospital bed to greet her.

Once we knew it wouldn't be long before she'd go into the OR, she got into her hospital gown and we waited for the nurse to come and get her. The doctor told her that she was going to put a mask on (in the OR to make her go to sleep) and it would taste the bubble gum. She was actually excited about it.
When the nurse came in the room, she picked up Kathryn and as requested, we gave her "kitty" and "Larry" (her stuffed dog). We walked behind Kathryn and the nurse until we couldn't go any further. We gave her kisses and watched them walk to the OR. I was impressed, Kathryn didn't shed a tear and was telling the nurse that she wanted a red popsicle when she was done.

In the waiting room, we could read about K's progress on the flat screen. Thirty minutes later, the doctor came out and told us she did great. Everything went well and he thinks this will work wonders for her. We sure hope so!

Soon after, we were able to go see her in recovery. She was groggy, but still never cried. She really wanted the IV out of her but didn't put up much of a fight because she was out cold a few minutes later.
After 45 minutes of sleeping, she woke up, told E. J. that she needed a new soccer ball because mommy ran over hers (which is completely true - I accidentally ran it over with E. J.'s truck this weekend) and she was pretty alert. She drank some water and apple juice and even had a couple bites of her popsicle. The nurse said she was doing great, took out her IV and Kathryn was ready to take off her gown.

E. J.'s mom came to the surgery and while K was still sleeping she went to the gift shop to get her a little something. Since Kathryn woke up sooner than we expected so we met E. J.'s mom in the lobby and decided to get something to eat in the cafeteria. They didn't have a huge selection, but the personal pizza's looked and tasted like gourmet food because we were starving at this point. To our surprise, Kathryn joined right in and ate two pieces as if she had just walked in right off the street. She was even able to "force" in some ice cream.

E. J. and I were pooped when we got home. He only had an hour and half of sleep the night before because he had to work. Kathryn wanted to watch a movie, so we all got into bed and within minutes E. J. and I were out. Kathryn, not so much. She woke me up at the end of the movie and asked for another movie. Easy request. A few minutes later I was out again! After a three hour nap, I was feeling like myself again. I was pleased to see that K was out when I woke up and left her and E. J. to sleep.

Since Kathryn didn't have an dietary restrictions, she got to pick dinner. She ate her bowl of spaghetti and then immediately asked for ice cream and a cupcake that Amanda made just for her. She loved every bite! But how could you not - Amanda is amazing baker!
Amanda also got Kathryn a new pair of jammies so she would be comfortable after her surgery. She kept reminding us that she needed to put on her "new snazzy pj's." Thank you so much, Amanda! They're a hit!
Although fairly minor, as far as surgeries go we are so happy that Kathryn's doing well and seems to be almost 100% comfortable. Just to be safe, E. J. will be home with her for the next two days (his days off) and they've declared tomorrow a "lazy day." I want to be around for that! Work is such a bummer.

Hopefully we'll see (and hear!) a difference in our sweet little girl's health in no time.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I am an amazing baker, but there is no denying Pillsbury's talents! I am thrilled she liked her pj's, and I am even more thrilled that she did so well in surgery. I am looking forward to a new and improved Kathryn... it is hard to imagine her better than she already is... which is perfect :)