Monday, October 8, 2012

31 Days: Day 8 - Just Another Monday

My alarm went off at the usual 5:30 a.m. and as soon as I heard it I (falsely) promised myself that I would be sleeping by 8 p.m. tonight. It's funny how we lie to ourselves.

Both yesterday and today felt like actual-real-life-chill-in-the-air fall weather. My favorite. Kathryn asked me to carry her into school and I'm so glad she did because she felt extra cozy bundled in her sweatshirt with the chilly breeze in the air.
It's been 2 days short of a month since I started my new job, and I really love it so far. I think it's going to be challenging, interesting, and all-around an excellent opportunity for me. It's where I want to be right now - working in communications in higher education. It's taken 6.5 years in higher ed. and getting my master's degree for me to get here and I'm very happy that the hard work has paid off. Although, the hard work is really just about to get started. It's good, though.
On my lunch, I headed to the post office and was psyched to see that there were barely any cars there. I walked in and was greeted by the friendly reminder sign that they were closed for Columbus Day. Had I been off today, I wouldn't be complaining.
After the post office fail, I made my way to Target and surprisingly only bought what I needed. We went to two Halloween stores this weekend and were sorely disappointed by the selection. Apparently, once you hit the 3-4T range, it's time to "sex it up". We were thinking we could stick to the tried and true cat costumes, like the past 2 years, but the only cats were more sex kittens.  When is the last time you thought a cat was really looking sexy? And, even if you thought a cat looked sexy, is it appropriate for a 2.5 year old to dress up like that?
I found a (non-sexy) ladybug costume. We'll give it a try and see if it's OK with the little lady (bug).
Before I knew it, it was time to pack up and head to my favorite part of the day: Picking K up from school. Her teachers tell me that she does a good job playing with other kids, but I normally find her playing by herself at the end of the day or standing at the door frame waiting for me and saying goodbye to every kid and their mom/dad. Each day when we walk in and out of school, she points out almost every parent walking in/out and says "that's (insert kid's name here) mommy/daddy". I have no idea how she knows this because it's normally the parents of children who aren't in her class.
We made an unusual weekend-stop to the grocery store. I needed to go "big" shopping, which I don't really like doing on a weeknight because we get home too late.  $170 later, it was finally time to head home. I made an incredibly rare choice to stop at Chick-fil-a for a quick dinner for Kathryn otherwise, it would have been 7:30 by the time I unloaded the groceries and made dinner.
Demonstrating the mommy's on the bus going "ssshhh ssshhh ssshhh"

We finally got home a little after 7, unloaded the groceries and all our stuff (seriously, how is it that we have so many bags - my hands are full everyday with bags in and out of the car). Unfortunately, getting home that late means we missed E. J.  as he already left for work. Miss K wasn't so happy about that and I certainly don't blame her.

After getting washed up for bed, watched a "George" (Curious George) episode, Kathryn "read' me her book, and I tucked her in. We've entered into the " there are monsters in my room" stage. I think she picked this up because Curious George thought he had monsters in his room in an episode. So I normally have to assure her that there are no monsters in her room or anywhere in the house. Scratching her back and laying in bed with her was a must tonight. Fine with me!

After finishing up my night time routine, I'm ready to call it a night and gear up for Tuesday.

Just another Monday, it was.


Post a Comment